Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Poacher's Son, by Paul Doiron

Mike Bowditch is a game warden in Maine, and his father Jack is the main suspect in the ambush and murder of a land developer and a deputy.  Mike knows his dad is not the most honorable of men, but he can't see him as a killer.  It's a pretty intense story, and Doiron tells it well.  Doiron does such a good job of making Mike a fully formed complicated guy, describing the life of a game warden, and providing a multi-layered sense of Maine, you almost don't notice that all the other characters are one dimensional.  Still I'm looking forward to Trespasser.

1 comment:

  1. Doiron does tell a good tale. I ,too, liked Mike and want to read more stories about him. An added advantage for me was the location, since I've been to some of the places and could ask my Maine-iac husband about the rest!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete