Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Hard Bounce, by Todd Robinson

There is a strongly comedic and graphically violent sub-genre that tends to make me a little uncomfortable.  But Robinson works within it really, really well, perhaps because he tells his story with so much heart.  The interactions between Boo and Junior and the rest of the damaged former inmates of St. Gabe's are truly funny.  Their vigilante approach to justice and retribution is bloody mayhem.  They are hired to locate the runaway 'tween daughter of a mayoral candidate, and get enmeshed in a rat's nest of interconnected nastiness.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I wasn't sure that I would like this book because thug lit gives me the willies, but I'm glad that I continued to read after the first couple of chapters. There were still a few scenes where I thought, wait, what happened, am I still reading the same book? But Robinson did a fine job fleshing out his characters and their relationships. I'd recommend this book.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete